Monday, September 8, 2008

Fruits of the summer

It is amazing that the days are still very hot. Usually it cools at this time of a year but it seems that there will be another week of nice and warm weather. It felt like a very long weekend but I can't explain why. Maybe because I was busy all the time and maybe because I was away at my grandparents again.Grandmom gave me some blackberries that grow in the ranch. These are not wild ones but grown ones. I froze some of them and made myself delicious 'ice cream' for dessert after lunch on Sunday (well, that was yesterday and it seems so far away already!). I had some plums and made dumplings with them. I mixed some flour, curd, salt, one egg, rolled the dough and made only four dumplings out of it. Some put a bit of sugar into the plums but I don't do this, I prefer adding it after, if needed. I melted some butter, added a spoonful of bread crumbs and sprinkled this on top of dumplings. Yum!I also baked some kind of a dessert from apples but I won't write much about it. Everything went wrong and it is good only if I pour lots of milk on it and then eat it. I will try some other recipe the next time. I still wonder what went wrong.

On the upper photo: from my garden into the basket - potimaron squash, parsley, celery, carrots, red beet, rhubarb and flowers of calendula/pot marigold.

5 comments:

Victoria said...

It all looks YUM - I'm wishing I'd been invited over.

Pina said...

:) You are always welcome if you are around!

Anonymous said...

Oh those blackberries - I'm so jealous! What a great bounty!

paperseed said...

Plum dumplings!? I've never heard of them, but they look tasty. I'm thinking you should start a Slovenian cookbook with all the unique recipes and beautiful photographs that you take.

Pina said...

We usually use apricots, strawberries and plums to fill dumplings with. Some use jam for filling, too. I make dumplings with curd, most people use cooked and mashed potato instead (it is too time consuming for me when I come home hungry).
Cookbook? Maybe, when I am retired. :)