Thursday, November 22, 2007

Home

I have traveled around the globe quite a bit. I used to spend all my savings for my travels. Not that there would be as many as I would wish there were but I saw some places around the world. When I was a little girl we used to go shopping to Austria or Italy as in those old days it was a problem to get even some chocolates in our shops. Before Christmas it was impossible to get oranges. Strange days, indeed. Now there is plenty of everything in the shops.

So, later in my teens I traveled all the way to France with my then best friend. Before I turned 20 I visited most of the European capital cities, before I was 25 I traveled around the Scandinavian countries. This time alone, all by myself. I had a time of my life. I mean it. Around that time I stepped on African continent in Tunisia, with my school friends at the university. It was fun. When I met a beautiful young man, he took me to New Zealand. A beautiful green country. I had a wonderful time there but it didn’t feel like home. Kind of isolated, far away from my real home.

After that the world felt small.

Then there were travels to Jamaica, where I hated it, being harassed by the locals all the time, to Canary Island, to Crete. At some time in my life I traveled to China. I felt really good there, everything felt so familiar. Like being home, though I didn’t like the landscape. I liked the feeling to be among the people. I traveled with a group of people.

I don’t think I have ever mentioned that I like Wild West. I will write about this some time later. My greatest wish ever was to see the prairies, to see the places where all those great battles I read about in the books took place. Sometimes wishes come true and a few years ago I traveled all the way to those places described in my books. Together with my husband I landed in Denver. I thought it would have felt like coming home. How wrong I was! Anyway, I loved it. I still dream about those days. I keep remembering.

Since then I have been only to Villach or Graz where I used to buy some organic food and where I still go shopping to Ikea, once I went to London and Warszaw to some workshops, once I went to see an exhibition on Maya in London and to one on Aztecs in Vienna. And I tell you, no matter how far or close I travel, nowhere feels like real home. My home is here, in this little country we call Slovenia. I love it here. It feels like home, it is my home.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

You've been busy and what a wonderful read. We've been to a lot of the same places, even though I'm based on the other side of the world. If I get time today, perhaps I'll do something similar in terms of my own travels, it's such fun to compare if our paths have crossed!