Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mathematics

During the weekend I read a book by Yoko Ogawa, The Gift of Numbers. It is amazing that this book is translated into Slovenian language and at the same time it is so rarely available in English. I was enjoying reading the book a lot because I have always loved mathematics. I was never very good at it but I looked forward to each and every lesson we had at school.I found a wonderful paragraph in the book, describing what the maths is good for. And at the end of the paragraph it is written something like this: "The purpose of mathematics is the search for the truth." Perhaps that's why I love it so much. Because most of all I like the truth.

It is hard to decide which is my favorite number but I like 17 and 71. I like 19 and 23. Number 2 brings me luck. And number 5 doesn't. I like odd numbers and most of all prime ones. Mathematics is mystery and at the same time it can be great fun! I just love it!

Oh, and yesterday the autumn has officially started! It is much colder, yes...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love autumn. But, it is still quite hot here. I look forward to the cooler weather.

My favorite number is 7

Victoria said...

I failed early high school maths - I'm definitely not a numbers person and was always in class saying "I'll never use this". My favourite numbers are 13, 9 and 7.