Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Saving lives

Arriving at the pasture on my trek on Sunday, I spotted a stream running through a valley. At one point a little basin was formed in which tadpoles were swimming up and down. Next to this basin there was even smaller basin full of tadpoles, too. Next to it a dead frog was lying in a mud and some tadpoles that died due to basin's drying up. So, strange person as I am, I moved all those tadpoles from the small basin to the bigger one.I am not so sure saving lives like this is good. Anyway, also the bigger basin might dry up in few days and all tadpoles will perish sooner or later. Though, some might survive and become frogs one day... Interfering with nature usually isn't such a good idea, but we, people always think that we do the best. I speak to the people who try to do this every day. Saving lives of birds that do not need this. Interfering with nature when this is absolutely not necessary.

P.s.: I am posting a photo of a beetle because that photo with a frog looks a bit too scary. :)

2 comments:

Feronia said...

I think we interfere with nature just by way of human existence sometimes, Pina, so doing good amongst nature is probably not such a bad thing! But, I do see your point.

Jill said...

Yes, I had been thinking this too...After trying to save a dragonfly - which died anyway - I wondered if I hadn't just prolonged it's suffering. But we do what we are inclined to do, and that is a natural act also. Though now, I am less inclined to interfere.