Thursday, October 6, 2011

Lace

Not many people would know what I would write about if I showed them this photo: Some would guess seeing this one: Or this one: So it goes, very slowly, braiding and twisting the bobbins in a certain order: This is just a beginning. Making bobbin lace is not an easy process, it takes lots of time and practice. And a good mentor. In my opinion how to make Idrija bobbin lace is a bit of a secret here in my country. Books tell only half of what you should know to make one. It is also not easy to get free patterns (for Idrija lace) if you are not connected to certain circle of people (lace makers). Besides, if the pattern is not well drawn also lace won't look good. So, here is my first piece of lace: You can see yourselves that it is not made evenly. There are certain reasons for that.
1. I am a beginner in lace making.
2. My mentor has to provide help for too many other pupils as well.
3. The pattern is not thoroughly drawn.

I hope that I will be able to show you nicer lace at the end of my course. No doubt that I will spend lots of dark winter afternoons and evenings behind my lace pillow.

3 comments:

Feronia said...

That is so beautiful! I love it :) I can't wait to read (and see) more about it.

Anonymous said...

Tvoje roke postajajo čudežne.
Aja, kako pa kaj kitara?
M.

paperseed said...

Fascinating Pina! What an interesting process and photos, something so vintage yet new at the same time. What an awesome thing to learn. I hope to see and read more about it too.