Friday, February 21, 2014

The big year

In my opinion one of the best movies, The big year was an inspiration also for our ornithologists and birdwatchers. I’m competing, too, just for fun. I know I won’t win (Ž won last year) but it’s a good stimulation to go out even if it’s raining or the temperatures are very low. Going out also means seeing new places and interesting things, meeting people. At the beginning of February Ž and I drove to one of the lakes not far from Ljubljana where we could see this quite rare bird for our places (with a red beak):
Red-crested Pochard (Netta rufina). Indeed, one of the most beautiful ducks I have ever seen.
And it was so lovely to hear the Starlings imitating the Golden Oriole song when those beautiful birds are still somewhere in Africa. It felt like, for a day, as if spring was already here.

No comments: