Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Snow again

It was more than 15 degrees Celsius during the weekend and it was so hard to believe that there would be snow again. But it is. Here in Ljubljana we were a bit lucky because it wasn't snowing hard. My brother lives in my parents' weekend house which is located at about 600m above sea level and they've got much more snow. It has been like this for more than 10 years now. I remember those long winters with abundance of snow. We could still ski on the slopes near our weekend house. Today this is not possible anymore. Right, two years ago we had this 'normal' winter again but they've been really rare in the last 15 years. And it usually snows when my crocus start to bloom. Every year. Or at least it starts raining then...I just wonder what we are doing with our planet and eventually with ourselves. It is interesting that today's children have so many allergies. I know lots of children who can't drink milk or eat bread with gluten. In our days such things didn't exist. If somebody had asthma it was already strange enough. And today every second child has some problems. Today it is not even allowed for the children to bring the cake for their birthday to kindergarten or school because certain parents just panic...
Those were happy times, the times of my youth...

And with the snow also came some good news. My colleague from work gave birth yesterday in the evening to a healthy boy named Enej. This is a Slovenian name for Aeneas, the Trojan hero. He already looks a hero today, her husband sent us Enej's photo. And today there's lots of laughter in our offices. I hope it will be another pleasant day. For you too.

2 comments:

waldorfmama said...

pina - thank your for visiting my waldorfmama blog. :) i love having new visitors! and so, i have visited your blog in return and found it so lovely! i see the snow and it is funny - it has just snowed here in texas today for the first time in 2 years! we are lucky to get snow once during the winter here. so different for you there in slovenia, from me so far away here in texas! well it is very nice to meet you and i hope we can visit often together. :)

paperseed said...

Usually, we get a lot more rain, and the crocus petals become all soggy and fall off before they mature, but not this year. I hesitate to say, because I don't want to jinx it, but this early spring has been kind of mild, a big departure from the seemingly unending weeks of grey and rain.