Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Books

I haven't written about the books I am reading for quite some time. During the summer time is too precious to spend it reading while outside the sun is shining. But sometimes it is just too hot and humid to do anything else than sit in my armchair and live a life of a hero in the book. Right, I had plenty of guides to the mountain areas borrowed from the library but I had to bring them back just yesterday (yes, a good reason to buy myself some of them!).



Why I am actually writing this post? Because yesterday I borrowed a book that reminds me that nothing is wrong by being bold and brave and change your life if things are not the way they should be. Well, I wish I was 10 years younger (and I am sure I will say the same when I am a year older...).



So, here's the list:


  • Eat, pray, love by Elizabeth Gilbert - either you have to be very brave or have just enough money to do what she did. I think that travels like hers really help you to find yourself. But how can you do something like that having children?! Being super extra bold?
  • Giants in the Earth by Ole Edvart Rolvaag - I think that the book has the same message as the one above. How sad it is that people destroy someone else's life. And I am sure you know what's my view towards the religion... This doesn't mean that I don't believe... The story is about the pioneer life on the prairie.
  • Three day road by Joseph Boyden - what the war can do to a man, to friendship. A story of two friends and the I. world war. Slovenian men had to suffer a lot during this war. We had no country of our own and some were living in Italy and some in Austria. How many relatives had to fight between themselves only because they lived in the different parts of the land where Slovenian was (is) spoken. I wish to visit the place of the fronts some day. Well, I mean those parts where people were dying in thousands. The other day in the mountains I saw a wire that was left of the border between two countries. Very sad remnants, I tell you.
  • Winter of the Wolf Moon by Steve Hamilton - this one is about friendship. And how boring our lives can be. At least that's how I saw the story. It made me think how boring my life can actually be. Sometimes.
  • A piano in the Pyrenees by Tony Hawks - how life can be fun and easy if you know how to make it this way. And sometimes you just need some cash to fulfill your dreams, I guess.
  • The Last Flight of the Scarlet Macaw by Bruce Barcott - thanks to Kari I had a chance to read this remarkable true story. When the money turns the world go around, there's nothing you can do to save the bird. I passed the book to my colleague, I hope she will like it as much as I did.

So, above are the books I liked reading. The ones that I thought about even after putting them down. I liked Three day road the most. It is a weird book, I warn you, but I am known of reading weird books... Happy reading, if you chose one of the titles above when you next go to the library!

1 comment:

Eva said...

I have read "Eat.Pray.Love" too. I wondered the same thing - how could you do this with your family? Escape??? ;)