Monday, August 4, 2008

Another peak

It is this time of a year when nothing feels better than going up to a mountain peak. It is not the peak that is important but the path that follows up there. Today I found a beautiful quotation on Lee Fierbaugh's blog. I would like to visit Muir Woods National Monument one day. There are many heroes that lived once upon a time. Like John Muir. Or Joseph R. Walker.



Friday was my day off again. The weather these days is not stable and the clouds were chasing me again.

I'd got fed up with sitting in my armchair so I went to sit on Chair. Stol is the mountain I climbed this time. Its name in translation means chair. 2236 m above sea level. It took me 3 and a half hours to get to the mountain hut and another ten minutes to get to the peak. Oh, it looked close and yet it was another 10 minutes to go!It must be a wonderful view from there in a nice clear weather. This is what there was, one moment clear blue sky, but turn around, and you could hardly see in front of you because of the foggy cloud that crept up the steep slopes. Lots of flowers on the way, I had to look at them and smell them too. That's why it took me so long to get to the top. I had to lean over the precipice to take a photo of Kerner-Alpine poppy (Papaver alpinum kerneri in Latin and kernerjev mak in Slovenian)! I needed even more time to get down back to the car! I passed through beautiful mountain pastures. I wouldn't mind spending a day or two up there. If there was only sour milk available but it wasn't. The herdsman explained to me that the cows are too way up the hill to milk them! Lunch on my way was very delicious. Some of the last wild strawberries and there were plenty of sweet raspberries. I wish I had some large dish with me to pick some more and bring them home. Though, I did bring some for Mr Ž. A handful.The inscription requested to bring one of these log of woods to the mountain hut. I did. And I think I was the only one... Obviously I took the longest and the loneliest path. As long as this summer lasts, I will be going up the mountains over and over again. Mr Ž has lots of work these days, I hope he will be able to go with me for a few days to the Julian Alps. There are still so many wonderful spots left to discover.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

When we visit you must take us to some of these spots - so beautiful.

Muir Woods is gorgeous, I went on my second trip os around the US for almost a year on my own, I think I was 24, and that was part of it. The size and breadth of these amazing trees is staggering.

aimee said...

oh my goodness, this is where you live? it's breathtaking! i don't think i would ever want to leave!