Friday, August 22, 2008

At home

There are lots of vegetables growing in my garden and lots of weeds too. I had a fight with the latter in the afternoon and now the garden looks much better. Squash feel better, too, now that they have some sunshine only for themselves. :) It's been the third year since I have this garden and it sounds very promising if I say that it looks better every year. I admit, I am a bit lazy when it comes to weeding but I will learn over the years how to do it right and eventually my garden might look as beautiful as my grandmom's one day. :) Anyway, flowers on my windows look wonderful! I've been messing with elder berries for the last three days in my kitchen. It's lots of work for little effect. First you have to clean them, pick out all the green berries because they are poisonous (all have to be black), then slightly cook them, press through a strainer, cook the juice with sugar or honey for more than half an hour and finally fill hot glasses with this mixture. This was jam (no photo). Then I made some syrup. I mashed the berries, added some water, left the mixture for a day to settle. Then I pressed the berries through a strainer, cooked the mixture with sugar and when cooked, added some lemon extract. Both, jam and syrup have certain taste though I can't say that they taste as good as the ones made of barberries or raspberries.

Yesterday at 8 o'clock in the evening I found out that there's no more bread so I quickly made the scones. I had no plain white flour therefore I made them with wholewheat one and they taste even better. It feels so good when you learn something new.

4 comments:

Eva said...

You are a busy woman! Especially in kitchen ;)
I made pizza last evening. It`s a first time when I made dough and sause and everything by myself. It felt good! Except maybe the fact that I don`t have muscles to knead a whole kilo of yeast dough......

Have you recipies for that pumpkin too?

Eva said...

PS the photo on your blog header is absolutely gorgeous! Please keep it!

Pina said...

:) I like my new header, too. Usually my hands shake when I take photos like that; it seems I was lucky this time!

Pumpkin recipes - I will share more about what I do with them next week. Oh yes, I had squash soup yesterday - chopped squash (the green one), some oat flakes, water, garlic and salt. When cooked, I added lots of fresh parsley and basil and mixed everything together. I added a bit of butter, probably it would be even better with milk or cream.

Vanja said...

Very nice blog you have! I'll come around in future...