Tuesday, September 2, 2008

At the beach

When I say that a real vacation is only when you go far away, I mean it. It is the only way to relax and switch off the thoughts of everyday life. It was short but sweet. I haven't been at the seaside for more than a day for 5 years. It felt good. It was about two hours drive to the camping site called Colone near Rovinj in Croatia. When I was a child we were spending lots of time on the beach, usually on island Cres where the water is clear and, if not in a crowded camp, you feel like being on another planet. I wouldn't like to live there but to get off the beaten track of your life, it is nice to go there.It was a quiet camp, the electricity was available only at the toilets and in a near bar/restaurant. We discovered the mini (mini!) market the day we left. All was basic. There were mostly Germans and Slovenians in the camp which was nice. Italians can be rather loud during the night. It was amazing that I slept to almost 8 o'clock in the morning! I usually wake up before 6 a.m. The silence was stuning in the morning, there was only sound of waves from the beach across the road to be heard. Ž wasn't very often at the seaside, he learned to swim in a swimming pool. He had bought himself a mask before leaving for this short vacation and most of the time he was watching the underwater world. There were plenty of fish! The sunsets were gorgeous, ice-cream too. We didn't go to Rovinj or to any of the near towns, perhaps next time when I will drive. There was no need for any special food, so I was mostly eating figs, we prepared some tomato salad, fried eggplants and one day we had pasta.I guess this was not the last time at the beach, we might be going there for few days again. It is quite close to Ljubljana, very cheap, clean and quiet. We don't need more. Maybe just a bit more comfortable bed? :)

2 comments:

Victoria said...

That looks so gorgeous Pina - sooooo relaxing too. It reminds me a lot in scenery of a week's holiday we had when September 11 happened. I remember it because it was so removed from what went on. Friends of ours living in Tuscany met us in Sardegna for a week's holiday at Paolo's uncle's house - it was amazing. We didn't hear about September 11 until two days after it happened because we had no radio and it was only when Paolo called his parents for something that they told us - the newspapers arrived from the mainland two days behind. There were some of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen there - very similar to the ones you saw.

paperseed said...

Beautiful pics! The one sad thing about the Oregon coast is that the water is freezing all year. How I would love to go swimming in the ocean without a thick heavy wetsuit. It is why I love Hawaii so much. I'm glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

BTW-Do you just eat figs fresh, or do you have recipes or techniques for eating this yummy fruit?