Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Trees

I've been reading a book Climbing the Equator - Adventures in the Jungles and Mountains of Ecuador by Neville Shulman for some time now. I like it but it is a slow read. Yesterday I came upon this paragraph:On my hikes I keep asking Ž about the age of the trees we pass by. Some of them look older that they actually are and some don't show their age. It is live with people, isn't it? It amazes me when Ž says that a tree is about 150 years old or even older, and I always say the same: "This tree was a little tree when Crazy Horse lived. Wow!" Isn't this amazing to have living creatures nearby which have come through such rough times? One reason more to admire nature.

One day we were walking through the woods, my eyes focused on the floor as usually and I noticed an interesting colorful 'thing' on the path. I kicked it with my foot but it was just a plain stone. Ž hugged me tightly and said: "I am so proud of you." I stared at him with surprise. "You notice things that others don't," he explained. I am not so sure this is true but perhaps I notice things because I usually watch my step, shortsighted as I am. :)

I have never planted a tree. I just admire them, watch them closely. Sometimes I hug them and usually I touch their leaves. I used to climb on them and when I was a teenager I spent lots of time during the weekends on one. The view was great! Now my garden is too small for a tree but this doesn't mean that I don't have half decayed pieces of trunks around the house. Anyway, the first tree is not so far away - it is on neighbor's garden!

1 comment:

Victoria said...

I imagine you as oh so observant - do you really not think you are?