Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dragonflies

I spent Sunday midday chasing the dragonflies around my home. Well, in about 7 km radius around my home. I was surprised at their abundance in some of the ditches that cover the landscape where I live. There are no ponds or lakes near my home, if I don't count those two ponds of my neighbor's. :)It is interesting that I have no special interest in butterflies but I jump at every dragonfly I see. Some people are afraid of them but they are such gentle creatures, eating lots of insects, and at the same time being food for birds.

I have noticed the other day on my night bird monitoring that the first Glow worms are appearing on the meadows. Yesterday in the evening when I was talking to the neighbor, little lights were blinking around us all the time. This is such a special time in a year for me. Life at its peak. On every step I make. What a joy!P.s.: You will probably have to click on the photos to see the dragonflies better.

3 comments:

Feronia said...

I love dragonflies! Thank you, Pina - beautiful photos as always :)

Pina said...

:)

Jill said...

hahaha...you sound just like me!