Thursday, April 12, 2012

Snežnik

One of the first books on my bookshelf was the one of the Slovenian castles. I have no idea where my interest for castles comes from. It is presumed that one of our ancestors was a blue-blooded man but nobody has found out yet who that was.

I was thinking the other day when Ž and I went off in search for the woodpeckers in rainy weather that sometimes we might be going over the edge. For most people it would be more pleasant to stay at home. Waking up at 5 a.m. on a Saturday morning instead of lying in a cozy bed for couple more hours doesn't sound very appealing. But if we had stayed at home I would have no story to tell today.

It was a pleasant trip, although we were already very tired and sleepy by noon. On our way back home we stopped at the castle Snežnik, the only one still having all original furniture that was there before WW II. Too many castles were burnt during this war and most furniture stolen (it is usually said that it was taken away).

Among renewed buildings I spotted an interesting house that won't stay long like it is. A guide told me that it had not been that important to be renewed. Of course, it was only a warehouse and a jail in there (could be seen in a distance behind the wall): In the great flood in 1851 the water reached the bridge leading into the castle. The sign tells us about this: I liked the doors. Some tell that times were wild. All are beautiful:

Hopefully I will visit castle Snežnik again when I am not so tired and sleepy as I was that other day. However, there are still many others that I want to visit before.

No comments: