Friday, October 5, 2012

A day with the beekeepers

A few weeks ago I was invited to join a picnic of a local beekeeping society. The invitation came out of the blue but I gladly agreed to join them, although I am not yet keeping bees and I am not a member of any beekeeping society. The day was perfect and together with my parents I drove to my cousin’s beehouse where the event took place. I was not surprised to meet many older men, together with their quiet wives. I saw some younger faces too, the future generation of beekeepers. 
Later that day at our dinner I met a wonderful beekeeper. I was listening while he was speaking because I admire people who don’t try to persuade others that their way is the only correct way to keep the bees. Once more my decision to keep the bees the other way as my dad and cousin keep them was confirmed. It is good to know that there are many people who can help me on my way. When I said to that old beekeeper that I had no place where I would put my hives, he told me that my thinking was very wrong. “Just get the bees and hives”, he said, “and then everything will work out by itself.” I hope it will.

No comments: