Thursday, May 8, 2008

Botanical gardens

I always like to visit botanical gardens (and arboretums as well). Ljubljana's is rather small but has a wide variety of plants. It's also been very well maintained. I visited Kew Botanical Gardens in London in 2001 and I was astonished! I would need at least three days to see it all. I wouldn't mind working there.

Last week I visited a botanical garden in Sežana, small town in Slovenian Karst. It is actually more an arboretum than a botanical garden as they mostly grow trees there. One of my favorites was Metaseqoia Glyptostroboides which is not native in Slovenia.
In the greenhouse I noticed a tiny plant with only one fruit on it (is it called a fruit?). Do you know it?
Mr Ž took a rather strange photo of me. Beside one of the giants I liked. I think it is a Cedar of Lebanon. I like cedars very much and if I had a huge garden and if the climate was warmer where I live I would certainly have one.
I thought of going to a plant flea market in Ljubljana's botanical gardens this weekend but I have to go with Mr Ž to one of his friend's party. Actually we will be celebrating the first birthday of his son and I hope to relax there a bit. A boyfriend of my colleague at work who is coming from Holland mentioned that we here in Slovenia don't have spring at all. First there is winter, immediately followed by summer. This has been true for about 15 years. So, you can imagine me enjoying the warmth of the sun on a meadow of that fellow we are going to visit this weekend... After all, it's been over 20 degrees C for some days now.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Is it one of those red passionfruit?

Pina said...

No, it is not passionfruit.
A hint: you have it every morning! :)