Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sweet August

My mom stopped by in the afternoon and left me some newspapers. Flipping through the pages, I found this picture. It is titled Tolerance and it was drawn by Sara Mušič. Flock of birds (swallows and starlings, and sorry, no cats) are actually gathering on the wires to start their travel south. August is a month when I get that travel fever - I surround myself with maps and guides, and travel around the world with my finger...

A few days ago, lying in bed and thinking about life, I jumped up, and in a few moments I was flipping through the pages of the France guide book. It called me.

Listening to music by Jack Johnson always reminds me of driving around the huge distances on the plains in the USA. They called me the other day, those plains.

Ten years ago I gave my parents a present - a travel to Mauritius. Since they were there, they've been dreaming about going there again. Yesterday I spoke with my mom about her retirement. In my opinion she's been waiting too long for it. I suggested her to spend the money she will get then for travel. So, yesterday, talking to her, Tonga and Easter Island called me.

I tell you, August is a wonderful month. Month for traveling. Though I know that I will stay at home this year.

In 1994 I spent today's day in Lillehammer in Norway. The most wonderful time of my life has started right then, in Gjeste Bu hostel. Though, Norway hasn't called me this year. Not yet.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's wonderful that you have had such opportunities to travel. I dream of traveling to Europe someday - especially Italy. Maybe someday;O)

Pina said...

I am sure, Kari, that you will make it some day. It is not so expensive as it seems. :)

Feronia said...

Travel is a wonderful, wonderful thing, that's for sure.

paperseed said...

There is something so strange? funny? curious? about imagining you listening to Jack Johnson in Slovenia. You remind me often that the world is actually smaller than I think it is sometimes.