Sunday, September 3, 2017

A week in a hospital

Accept the place the divine providence has found for you.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Things are not always as we want them to be, and sometimes sudden events completely change our lives. I am still not aware of how much my life will change after one single wrong move, but I do know that life will be a little bit different from now on.

It was Thursday, 24th August, when I was helping my mom in the garden. She is not as fit anymore as she used to be (oh, neither am I), so I picked a bag full of vegetables to carry it to her car. One wrong move caused a strong pain in my back. Less than an hour later I was lying on the floor in front of my bed, not able to move. Ž couldn't pick me up or help me any other way, the pain was just too strong. I called an ambulance, what else could I do? A doctor came, gave me some pills which didn't help at all.

The next morning I called an ambulance again and they drove me to the hospital. The pain was unbearable. Lots of doctors came to see me, nobody knew what was wrong with me. I was lying there for hours, painkillers slowly leaking into my veins, but they didn't help at all. In the evening I was finally accepted into the hospital to stay there overnight. Or, better said, to stay there for another week.

Time went slowly or fast, it depended on a day, besides I was lucky that two women in the same room were a pleasant company during the first three days. Sometimes we talked, sometimes we were just alone with our own thoughts. It is amazing, how life slows down and nothing else but ourselves matters.

Further examinations showed that my back did not suffer any major injuries and it will, luckily, heal over time. All I need now is a lot of rest and most of all, a lot of exercise. Yes, I know, my laziness brought me all the way to this.

My head is dizzy of all the medicaments that I am taking right now, but hopefully by the end of this week I will stop taking them completely. Life slowed down, and I am grateful for this. Oh, so grateful! And I am grateful to all those nurses and doctors (females and males) who took care of me during those long days and nights, sometimes also with humour when nothing else helped. Thank you!

No comments: